Whether you plan on staying in your home for another 20 years, or you plan on listing it this spring, you will want to keep it in great condition through the harsher winter months. This handy checklist will help you keep you and your home safe and comfortable.
Inside your home:
- Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned.
- Have your furnace or boiler serviced.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors if you haven’t done so in 6 months.
- Be sure your water pipes are properly insulated.
- Replace your screens with storm windows and check for drafts around the window frames. Repair as needed!
Outside your home:
- Check all of your snow and ice removal equipment - don’t wait until the last minute to run out to buy shovels, ice melt, or tune up your snow blower!
- Be sure your exterior faucets are turned off and hoses are put away.
- Clean your gutters and drainpipes
- Survey the area around your home for low hanging or dangerous branches near your roof or power lines. Have them trimmed or removed.